PLEASE FORWARD -- NATIONAL CALL TO IMPORTANT EDUCATIONAL
Palestinian-Jewish film on PBS-TV
Thursday evening, December 13, 2001 -- 9:00 p.m. -- and days following
**** Find your local broadcast date and time at ****
San Francisco -- Tuesday, December 18, 2001 -- 10 p.m. -- KQED-TV
PROMISES offers fresh insight into the Middle East conflict. This gripping, award-winning documentary film explores the hearts and minds of Israeli and Palestinian youth -- those captured by the region's hatreds and those able to transcend them.
You are taken to the complex, charged city of
Living within 20 minutes of each other, these girls and boys are nevertheless locked in separate worlds. Through candid interviews, the film explores a legacy of distrust and bitterness, but signs of hope emerge when some of the children dare to cross the checkpoints to meet one another.
Produced 2001 by Justine Shapiro, B.Z. Goldberg, and Carlos Bolado
** Best Documentary & Audience Award, San Francisco Int'l Film Festival
** Freedom of Expression Award, Int'l Film Festival, Munich
** Audience Award, Best Film, Rotterdam Int'l Film Festival
** Festival Award, Int'l Film Festival, Jerusalem
** Best Documentary, Hamptons Int'l Film Festival
***** SUGGESTED ACTIONS *****
BEFORE THE BROADCAST:
1. LOGON to the PROMISES Web site for more information about the film at http://www.promisesproject.org.
2. LOGON to the PBS/"Point of View" Web site for more in-depth information, including about (A) PROMISES, (B) guidelines and curriculum materials, and (C) ideas for follow-up activities. It is at http://www.pbs.org/pov/promises/ .
ON BROADCAST NIGHT:
1. ORGANIZE potluck dinners and watch PROMISES together with friends, youth groups, classes, or discussion groups.
2. ENCOURAGE OTHERS in your educational or spiritual family -- including students -- to view PROMISES for later discussion together.
AFTER THE PBS BROADCAST:
1. JOIN OTHERS ONLINE with your responses and "Talking Back" at the POV Web site at http://www.pbs.org/pov//talkingback/index.html
2. CONVENE A DIALOGUE MEETING of your friends and students to discuss the meaning of PROMISES for you and the future.
*************** DIALOGUE GUIDELINES AND CURRICULUM ***************
1. PROMISES-related discussion guidelines and curriculum materials developed by POV can be downloaded on the Internet at http://www.pbs.org/pov/promises/.
2. Dialogue principles, inspiration, links, and other resources for sustained relationship-building are available from the Jewish-Palestinian Living Room Dialogue Group at http://www.igc.org/traubman/call.htm.